About the Collection
For an overview of LDS missionary work in the Middle East see:
- Berrett, LaMar C. and Blair G. Van Dyke. Holy Lands: A History of the Latter-day Saints in the Near East. American Fork: Covenant Communications, 2005.
- Lindsay, Rao H. “A History of the Missionary Activities of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Near East, 1884–1929.” M.A. thesis, Brigham Young University, 1958. Click to see full text
A briefer, but interesting overview can be found at:
- Charles, David P. “‘You had the Alps, but We the Mount of Olives’: Mormon Missionary Travel in the Middle East (1884–1928).” Mormon Historical Studies 1 (Spring 2000): 93-126. Click to see full text
Publications on LDS missionary work in the Middle East are quite limited, so the remaining titles are only arranged alphabetically by author or title and not by country:
- Baldrige, Steven W. Grafting In: A History of the Latter-day Saints in the Holy Land. Jerusalem: Jerusalem Branch, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1989.
- Barron, Howard H. Orson Hyde: Missionary, Apostle, Colonizer. Bountiful, UT: Horizon Publishers, 1977.
- Brewerton, Denton Y. “Istanbul and Rexburg: Jacob Spori’s Mission Field.” Ensign 10 (June 1980): 26-28. Click to see full text on http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg and then click on “Gospel Library.”
- Charles, David P. “European LDS Missionaries in the Middle East, 1884–1909.” Honors Thesis, Brigham Young University, 2001.
- Christianson, James R. “Jacob Spori: Nineteenth-Century Swiss Missionary, Educator, and Kingdom Builder.” In Supporting Saints, Donald Q. Cannon and David J. Whittaker, eds., 348-368. Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, Brigham Young University, 1985.
- Embry, Jessie L. “The LDS Church and Iran: The Dilemmas of an American Church.” John Whitmer Historical Association Journal 21 (2001): 51-67.
- Galbraith, David B. “Orson Hyde’s 1841 Mission to the Holy Land.” Ensign 21 (October 1991): 16-19. Click to see full text on http://lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg and then click on “Gospel Library.”
- Green, Arnold H. “A Survey of LDS Proselyting Efforts to the Jewish People.” BYU Studies 8 (Summer 1968): 427-443. Click to see full text
- Hyde, Orson. A Voice from Jerusalem. Boston: Albert Morgan, 1842.
- Peterson, Daniel C. “The Church in the Near East.” In Abraham Divided: An LDS Perspective, Daniel C. Peterson, 321-367. Rev. ed. Salt Lake City: Aspen Books, 1995.
- Pingree, Daniel J. ‘And Your Name Will be Remembered …’: The History of John Alexander Clark’s Turkish Mission.” Thetean 24 (1995): 30-50.
- Shupe, Anson D. and John Heinerman. “State-within-a-State Diplomacy: Mormon Missionary Efforts in Communist and Islamic Countries.” In Religion and the Political Order, vol. 2, Anson D. Shupe and Jeffrey K. Hadden, eds., 67-83. New York: Paragon House, 1988.
- Toronto, James A. “Early Missions to Ottoman Turkey, Syria, and Palestine.” In Out of Obscurity: The LDS Church in the Twentieth Century, 339-362. Salt Lake City: Deseret Bbook, 2000.