The Brigham Young University Bookstore
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The BYU Bookstore was established in 1906 as the Student Supply Association to supply the books and other school supplies that students needed. In 1965 the Student Supply Association became the BYU Bookstore and moved into its current location as part in the Wilkinson Student Center. The remarkable history of Brigham Young University’s bookstore can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the Brigham Young University Bookstore.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976
- Sample materials dealing with the Brigham Young University Bookstore: A sample of the materials that contain information about the BYU Bookstore. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- UA 1223 Records, 1952-1995 Records of the Student Auxiliary Services. This collection details the workings of the Brigham Young University Department of Student Auxiliary Services. It is comprised of staff minutes, programs, clippings, and reports outlining the various objects and activities which the Student Auxiliary Services dealt with. It also includes information on the bookstore.
- 082 A1 no.41 New Brigham Young University bookstore due in two years a brief article in the “Publisher’s Weekly” journal discussing the BYU Bookstore as it existed in the 1950s and the plan to begin construction on a new store in 1961.
- UA 1149 Records, 1994-1998 This collection contains correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, policies, subject files, and other items necessary to the functioning of the Administrative Vice President’s office. Includes information on the BYU Bookstore.
- UA 869 Single photo file, [ca. 1890s-1980s] Contains images of students, faculty, activities, and organizations at Brigham Young University. Includes images the BYU Bookstore.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the Brigham Young University Bookstore. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.