Karl G. Maeser and Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Karl G. Maeser served as the second principal of the Brigham Young Academy. He is considered to be the spiritual architect of Brigham Young University. His remarkable impact on Brigham Young University can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of Karl G. Maeser’s legacy.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding:
- Histories of Brigham Young University with Information on Karl G. Maeser
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes) Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975 (see the index for Maeser, Karl G.)
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976 (see the index for Maeser, Karl G.)
- Sample materials dealing with Karl G. Maeser A sample of the materials that contain information about Karl G. Maeser follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or email@example.com for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- UA 1094 Brigham Young University President’s Records, 1876-1892 This collection contains two boxes of photocopied correspondence and one box of microfilm that document Karl G. Maeser’s administration of Brigham Young Academy. This collection may be accessed with the permission of the University Archivist.
- MSS SC 2980 Religious lecture minutes, 1878-1879 Minutes to lectures given by Karl G. Maeser in his Book of Mormon, New Testament, extempore exercises, and grand theology religion classes at the Brigham Young Academy. Minutes recorded by James E. Talmage, Susa Young, Zina Williams, and others. Second folder includes a typed copy of the minutes, prepared by Evelyn C. Fannin in about the late 1990s.
- UA 946 Presidential photographs, 1875-2003 Contains photographs of the presidents of Brigham Young University including Karl G. Maeser.
- MSS 2126 Ancestors of Karl G. Maeser, 1988-1901, and Anna Heneritta Therese Mieth, 1830-1896, 1999 Biographical history of Karl G. Maeser tells of his childhood in Saxony, Germany; his education; marriage; conversion to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; migration to Utah in 1857; church service, including a Latter-day Saint mission to Germany, 1867-1870; establishment of the Brigham Young Academy (later Brigham Young University); service as principal of Brigham Young Academy, 1876-1892; teaching LDS seminary; and information on his death and funeral. Includes photocopies of correspondence and photographs. Includes a biographical sketch of his second wife Emilie Damcke Maeser. Also includes information on memorials and tributes to Karl G. Maeser. Also includes details and pictures of the Karl G. Maeser Family Reunion in Messen, Germany, June 1999. Also includes genealogical information. Biographical history of Anna Therese Meith Maeser, first wife of Karl G. Maeser, includes information on her childhood in Dresden, Germany; marriage; and her death and funeral. Includes information on her parents, Karl Benjamin Emanuel Mieth and Christiana Henrietta Backhaus Mieth, and sister, Camilla C. Mieth Cobb. Also includes significant genealogical information.
- BX 8608 .A1 no.1240 Sunday school work : a series of lectures These lectures were given by Karl G. Maeser..
- LC 586 .M6 M3 1898 School and fireside This is a compilation of lectures given by Karl G. Maeser and they expose his educational philosophy.
- BX 8695 .M32 .B87 1953 Karl G. Maeser, Mormon educator
- BX 8670.1 .M26m Karl G. Maeser; a biography by his son
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives. To examine the complete collection inventory (and any other additional manuscript materials related to this topic), go to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections EAD Search page, and enter the term “Karl G. Maeser.”