Eugene L. Roberts and Brigham Young University
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Eugene L. Roberts was chair of the Department of Physical Education and an athletic coach beginning in 1910. His remarkable impact on athletics at Brigham Young University can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of Eugene L. Robert’s legacy.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University with Information on Eugene L. Roberts
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes) Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975 (see the index for Roberts, Eugene L.)
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976 (see the index for Roberts, Eugene L.)
- Sample collections and books held by the L. Tom Perry Special Collections that deal with Eugene L. Roberts A sample of the materials that contain information about Eugene L. Roberts follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- UA 562 Eugene L. Roberts collection. This collection includes correspondence, reports, photographs, and other materials documenting Roberts’ life. Also includes information on the Timpanogos Hike.
- UA 909 Faculty Biographical File. This collection contains information on Roberts’ career at Brigham Young University.
- MSS 901 Eugene L. Roberts letters and a diary excerpt. This collection contains typewritten copies of letters and an excerpt from a diary. The letters related to Roberts’ efforts to write biography of Benjamin Cluff Jr. The diary is an excerpt from Cluff’s diary of 1904.
- BX 8670.1 .R542g The Life and Educational Contributions of Eugene Lusk Roberts by Marva Hodson Gregory.
- 378.22 R664 1984 Eugene Lusk Roberts: An Architect of Physical Education in the American West, 1910-1950 by Jonathan N. Romine.
- 378.2 A1 no. 87 Athletic Hall of Faith
- BX 8670.1 .R542c Eugene L. Roberts–A Study in Leadership by Gertrude Roberts Cash
- BX 8670 .A1a no. 33 Biography of Eugene L. Roberts by Leo J. Muir
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the life of Eugene L. Roberts. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.