Brigham Young University Newspapers
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The first student newspaper, entitled The Academic Review, was published on the Brigham Young University campus in 1884, but only remained in publication for one year. The second, The BYA Student, was only published for five months in 1891. Success came to the student newspaper with the creation of White and Blue, which was first published in 1897 and concluded in 1921. This newspaper was replaced by The Y News in 1921, which was in turn replaced by the Brigham Young Universe in 1948. The university’s current student newspaper, the Daily Universe, was created in 1956, and its circulation has continued to grow from that time. The remarkable history of Brigham Young University’s newspaper can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the Brigham Young University newspaper.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976
- Other secondary sources related to the BYU newspaper:
- 378.2 B739 A history of the student newspaper and its early predecessors at Brigham Young University from 1878 to 1965 Examines the history of the student newspaper at Brigham Young University. It begins with an examination of student publications of the Brigham Young Academy and concludes with an examination of the Daily Universe.
- Sample materials dealing with the Brigham Young University newspaper: A sample of the materials that contain information about the BYU newspaper. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or email@example.com for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- UA 451 Editors and business managers of the Daily Universe and predecessors, 1898-1957 Includes the names of editors and business managers of the Daily Universe and its predecessors. Also includes a newspaper article relating the reminiscences of Alvin G. Hubbard, first editor of the Y News.
- UA 1108 Student publications, 1884-1896 Includes complete runs of the Academic Review and the BYA Student. Also contains copies of other student publications including The Normal, The Journal of Pedagogy, and The Business Journal.
- UA 5328 White and blue (Provo, Utah) Collection contains various issues of the Brigham Young University newspaper, White and Blue. Issues are both loose and bound reference copies.
- 378.792 B76-Q W58 White & blue, vol. 3-25, 1897-1923. Index
- UA 126 Records, 1932-1933 Collection includes budget reports, bids, audits, contracts and correspondence between Franklin S. Harris, Brigham Young University President, 1921-1945, Ralph W. Jenson, Brigham Young University Banyan editor and photographers, printers and designers concerning the preparations of the Banyan and the “Y” News.
- UA 1371 Daily Universe records, 1970-1988 This collection contains Daily Universe newspaper clippings, financial records (including advertisements, payroll information, and bills), whole copies from the Daily Universe from Sept. 1987 to Jan. 1988, photographs taken for use by the Daily Universe (including an alphabetized collection of prominent Mormons, church leaders, faculty, and other famous people), and proof sheets. This item is restricted for 25 years after the creation of the records and is thereafter open to the public after consultation with the University Archivist and in accordance with the General Restriction Statement of the L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- UA 1233 Series I Subseries IX box 104 folder 5 The Daily Universe correspondence Memorandums from various campus offices regarding policy proposals, the Editorial and Advisory Boards, and reports on the Daily Universe from 1994 to 1996. Also includes the 1995 proposed mission statement, organization and operating structure for the newspaper.
- Other Primary Materials related to the BYU newspaper:
- MSS OH 1925 Interview, 1986 Typescript of an interview conducted by Briant S. Jacobs on 29 July 1986 for the Joint Oral History Program of Brigham Young University Archives, BYU Alumni Association Emeritus Club and Charles Redd Center for Western Studies. Haroldsen talks about his career as a journalist and as an editor for the “Daily Universe” campus newspaper for Brigham Young University. Also included are the cassette tapes from which the typescript was made.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the Brigham Young University newspaper. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.