Brigham Young University Leadership and Education Week
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. BYU Leadership Week was initiated under President Franklin Harris in 1922, and was designed to bring leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the university to inspire and prepare members for higher qualities of leadership. The week was originally sponsored by the Extension Division of the university. In the 1963, the name of Leadership Week was changed to Education Week, and the Division of Continuing Education began sponsorship. Topics were broadened from leadership to education. The program still continues with high success today. Brigham Young University’s remarkable history can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the heritage of the Brigham Young University Leadership and Education Week.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976.
- Bergera, Gary James and Ron Priddis. Brigham Young University: A House of Faith. Salt Lake City, UT: Signature Books, 1985.
- Sample materials dealing with the Brigham Young University Leadership and Education Week: A sample of the materials that contain information about the BYU Leadership and Education Week follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- LD 571 .B6765 C66 1997 The world is our campus: the history of the Division of Continuing Education at Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, 1875-1997 A comprehensive history of the foundation and growth of Brigham Young University’s Division of Continuing Education.
- UA 944 Lecture series, 1899-1992 This collection includes copies of speeches from various lecture series on campus from 1899-1992.
- UA 547 Records, 1921-1988 Record of the Division of Continuing Education, containing files of the Deans and Directors. Includes records for Education week, leadership conferences, Travel Study, Home Study, evening classes, Special Courses and Conferences, community education, Salt Lake Center, and a brief history of the Division.
- UA 1088 Historical records, 1921-2005 Records of the Division of Continuing Education. This collection includes the annual reports for the Division of Continuing Education from 1955-2002. It also includes minutes of meetings of advisory councils, staff, and those of the Deans from 1973-1997. This collection has a lot of division publications and personal publications regarding continuing education. There are notes and reports from the division from 1955-1992. The last two boxes contain bound dissertations about BYU’s Continuing Education Division that were written for and presented to other universities.
- UA 788 Historical files, [ca. 1923]-1992 Files include histories and research notes, circa 1923-1980; subject files relating primarily to Education week programs held on the BYU campus and at various other locations, 1957-1991; printed programs, 1925-1971; scrapbooks, 1969-1992; newspaper articles and ephemera, 1924-1986; and photographs, circa 1950s-1979.
- UA 413 Records, 1958-1959 Includes a brief informational and historical overview of Leadership Week, several Leadership Week agendas, and evaluations of Leadership Week by stake presidents and the Presiding Bishopric.
- UA 817 Program files, 1958-ca. 1986 Records documenting the various activities of the Division of Continuing Education.
- Sample of Leadership Week Material:
- BX 8608 .B76l 1925 Fourth annual leadership week, Brigham Young University, January 26-30, 1925 Lectures given by Lowry Nelson, Thomas L. Martin, Laval S. Morris, C. Y. Cannon, William J. Snow, T. C. Romney and others.
- BX 8608 .A1a no.1787 The promise of religion in the present crisis: a talk given on Friday, Jan. 31, 1941 at “Leadership Week”, Brigham Young University Address given by Carl F. Eyring.
- BX 8608 .B76L Leadership week lectures Volumes of addresses given at BYU Leadership Week, first published in 1953.
- BX 8608 .B76L 1954 no.1-5 Leadership week lectures, 1954 Addresses given by Hugh B. Brown, Bruce R. McConkie, Joseph Fielding Smith, Richard L. Evans and others.
- BX 8608 .B76L 1955 no.1-17 Leadership Week Lectures 1955 Addresses given by Harvey L. Taylor, Marion D. Hanks, S. Dilworth Young, LeGrand Richards, and others.
- BX 8624.05 .C548g Glorious future of man from science and scripture. A series of five lectures presented at BYU Campus Leadership Week 1959 Addresses given by James R. Clark and others.
- Sample of Education Week Material:
- BX 8608 .A1a no.460 Education week outlines of lectures
- BX 8608 .B76L 1964 no.1-27 Continued Learning — key to progress: telecast devotional, Brigham Young University Campus Education Week June 9, 1964 Address given by George Marion Hinckley.
- BX 8666.5 .Sy77 1978 Synopsis of lectures from B.Y.U. Education Week, 1978 Compiled and edited by Z. Reed and Lyn Millar.
- AC 901 .A1 no.2703 Campus education week : August 21-24, 1979 : [program and class schedule]
- UA 1197 Series I Subseries XIX Subseries I Education week audio recordings and other material The subseries contains audio recording from the events during Education week from 1960 to 1995.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the evolution of the Brigham Young University Leadership and Education Week. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.