Brigham Young University Football
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Brigham Young University’s remarkable history can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the heritage of Brigham Young University football.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976.
- Butterworth, Edwin Jr. Brigham Young University: 1,000 Views of 100 Years. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Bergera, Gary James and Ron Priddis. Brigham Young University: A House of Faith. Salt Lake City, UT: Signature Books, 1985.
- Sample materials dealing with Brigham Young University football: A sample of the materials that contain information about BYU football follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- 378.2 P65 The History of Intercollegiate Football at Brigham Young University, 1921-1959 A history of the intercollegiate football program at Brigham Young University covering the years 1921 to 1959. Describes the reinstatement of football at the university and includes information on the success of the team as well as information on the coaches.
- GV 959 .M58 1992 The Forgotten Years: The Beginnings of Collegiate Football in Utah Traces the development of collegiate football in Utah. Includes a history of the sport at Brigham Young Academy and its later development at Brigham Young University. Also examines its role at other Utah institutions.
- BX 8670.1 .Ed97e 1981 LaVell Edwards: Building a Winning Football Tradition at Brigham Young University An autobiography of LaVell Edwards. Talks about how he came to coach football and many of his experiences at Brigham Young University.
- GV 958 .B75 H34 BYU football, 1922 to 1985 A compilation of statistics recorded by both conference and stadium. Includes lists of BYU bowl games, homecoming games, coaches, lettermen, state rival standings and game scores.
- UA 836 Scrapbooks, [1979-1981] Two volumes relating to Brigham Young University football and basketball. Volume one includes quotes from members of the 1979 football team; images of old Cougar Stadium, the team, and individual players; caricatures and reproductions of photos of coaches LaVell Edwards, Norm Chow, Dick Felt, Garth Hall, Dave Kragthorpe, Mel Jay Olson, Tom Ramage, Doug Scovil, and Fred Whittingham; and newspaper clippings.
- UA 753 Brigham Young University basketball and football historical data, 1982-1986 Two volumes about BYU basketball and three volumes about BYU football, containing information about playing facilities, coaches, athletic conferences, individual players, tournaments, won/loss records against different opponents, yearly won/loss records, and individual game scores. The football volumes also include information about homecoming and bowl games. Includes several photographic images.
- GV 691 .B75 R62x 1984 Greatest Moments in BYU Sports Describes some of the greatest moments in Brigham Young University’s football, basketball and golf teams before 1984.
- GV 958 .B75 R62 2003 Tales from the BYU Sidelines: A Collection of the Greatest Stories Ever Told A behind the scenes look at the Brigham Young University football team.
- GV 691 .B75 C34 2005 Cougarmania: a book of notes, quotes, anecdotes, commentaries, frivolity, lore, and more about BYU sports This book examines Brigham Young University athletic program from the fans’ perspective with particular emphasis on football and basketball. It contains a long chapter that is comprised of quotes about the athletic program by individuals associated with it as well as a detailed description of the results of the BYU-Utah football games from 1988 to 2004.
- · GV 958 .B75 T58 2008 Brigham Young University football vault: the history of the Cougars A history of the football program at Brigham Young University.
- GV 958 .B75 C35 2008 Roaring back to glory: a lavish retrospective of the BYU football program’s most amazing moments, most memorable quotes, best players and greatest games A retrospective look at the Brigham Young University football program.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the evolution of Brigham Young University football. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.