Brigham Young University Devotionals and Forums
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Devotionals have always been a part of the Brigham Young University community. They were instituted by Karl G. Maeser and were offered on a daily basis. Although the number of devotionals per week has slowly changed over time, their importance to the campus community has remained constant. They provide an opportunity for the campus to be spiritually fed and they reinforce a feeling of community. The practice of holding forums, designed to enrich the undergraduate curriculum of the university, began during the presidential administration of Ernest L. Wilkinson. The remarkable history of Brigham Young University can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the Brigham Young University devotionals and forums.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976
- Sample materials dealing with Brigham Young University devotionals and forums: A sample of the materials that contain information about BYU’s devotionals and forums. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- BX 8608 .B778b 1988 v.1 BYU devotional talks A collection by President George H. Brimhall of talks and other short messages from 1904 to 1932 given to BYU students.
- UA 1197 Brigham Young University multimedia records, 1941-2000 This collection contains audiotapes and videotapes of commencement exercises, annual university conferences, theatre and musical performances, devotionals and firesides, and other addresses given at Brigham Young University.
- UA 1300 Brigham Young University reel-to-reel tapes, 1948-1995 This collection contains reel-to-reel tapes of forums, devotionals, commencement addresses, Education Week classes and devotionals, General Conference addresses and other on-campus conferences, seminars and lectures from April 6, 1948 to July 23, 1985.
- UA 995 Devotional and fireside speeches of the year, 1951-1996 This collection contains copies of speeches given at Brigham Young University devotionals and firesides from 1951-1996 and copies of the “Speeches of the Year” booklets.
- UA 994 Speeches on audio cassette tapes, 1954-1988 Audio cassette tapes of speeches made during BYU devotionals, firesides, and other meetings. Most are recordings of General Authorities of the LDS Church.
- UA 440 Correspondence, 1955-1971 Records of the University Publications Department. Includes correspondence with devotional and forum speakers regarding the publication of their addresses by BYU Extension Services.
- UA 1148 Brigham Young University forum records, 1970-1998 This collection contains materials dealing with the Brigham Young University forum assemblies for the years 1970 through 1998. This includes speaker nomination and review files, speaker background files, copies of forum addresses, and related correspondence.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document Brigham Young University devotionals and forums. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.