Brigham Young University Basketball
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Brigham Young University’s remarkable history can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the heritage of Brigham Young University basketball.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976.
- Butterworth, Edwin Jr. Brigham Young University: 1,000 Views of 100 Years. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Bergera, Gary James and Ron Priddis. Brigham Young University: A House of Faith. Salt Lake City, UT: Signature Books, 1985.
- Sample materials dealing with Brigham Young University basketball: A sample of the materials that contain information about BYU basketball follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- GV 885.43 .B75 H35 BYU basketball 1903 to 1984 Includes scoring statistics arranged by rivalry, arena, and conference. Also includes a list of BYU coaches, year to year results of the Cougar Classic, and general yearly results.
- 378.2 St357 The History of Intercollegiate Basketball at Brigham Young University Describes the development of the basketball program at Brigham Young University. Discusses the university’s involvement with the Rocky Mountain Conference beginning in 1918.
- GV 885 .W38x 1972 Brigham Young University basketball: Stan Watts, 1949-1972 Includes articles written by Stan Watts for magazines as well as diagrams and plays that demonstrate his philosophy of basketball.
- BX 8670.1 .W35d BYU’s Stan Watts: The Man and His Game A biography of Stan Watts. Watts was a well respected basketball coach at Brigham Young University. Describes the history of his life and focuses on his successes and disappointments as a coach. Includes stories about famous games and victories.
- BX 8670.1 .Ar64a 1980 Rise and Shout! Autobiography of Frank Arnold. Talks about how he became head basketball coach at Brigham Young University and details experiences he had as head coach.
- GV 691 .B75 R62x 1984 Greatest Moments in BYU Sports Describes some of the greatest moments in Brigham Young University’s football, basketball and golf teams before 1984.
- GV 959 .P35x 1993 Instate wars: football and basketball between Utah State, Utah, and BYU Statistics regarding the meeting of these three rival universities, including fact about the rivalries and photographs.
- GV 691 .B75 C34 2005 Cougarmania: a book of notes, quotes, anecdotes, commentaries, frivolity, lore, and more about BYU sports This book examines Brigham Young University athletic program from the fans’ perspective with particular emphasis on football and basketball. It contains a long chapter that is comprised of quotes about the athletic program by individuals associated with it as well as a detailed description of the results of the BYU-Utah football games from 1988 to 2004.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the evolution of Brigham Young University basketball. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.