Brigham Young University Athletics
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Brigham Young University’s remarkable history can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of Brigham Young University Athletics.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976.
- Butterworth, Edwin Jr. Brigham Young University: 1,000 Views of 100 Years. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Bergera, Gary James and Ron Priddis. Brigham Young University: A House of Faith. Salt Lake City, UT: Signature Books, 1985.
- Sample materials dealing with Brigham Young University Athletics: A sample of the materials that contain information about BYU athletics follows. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- 378.22 P225 1976 vol.1-2 A History of the Rocky Mountain Skyline, and Western Athletic Conferences: 1909-1976 Describes the history of the Western Athletic Conference and its two predecessors, the Mountain States Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the Rocky Mountain Faculty Athletic Conference. Focuses on men’s athletics.
- GV 691 .B75x BYU sports A collection of journals including season rosters, schedules, records, game analyses, interviews and articles.
- 378.2 Ob6 The History of Intercollegiate Baseball at Brigham Young University A history of the intercollegiate baseball program at Brigham Young University from 1900 to 1961. Discusses the development of the program and important participants (both coaches and players).
- 378.2 C462 1971 no.2 The History of Intercollegiate Wrestling at Brigham Young University History of intercollegiate wrestling from 1911 to 1971. It examines three main areas: historical development, contributions of significant wrestlers, and complete won lost records of coaches and teams.
- 378.2 St357 The History of Intercollegiate Basketball at Brigham Young University Describes the development of the basketball program at Brigham Young University. Discusses the university’s involvement with the Rocky Mountain Conference beginning in 1918.
- 378.2 P65 The History of Intercollegiate Football at Brigham Young University, 1921-1959 A history of the intercollegiate football program at Brigham Young University covering the years 1921 to 1959. Describes the reinstatement of football at the university and includes information on the success of the team as well as information on the coaches.
- 378.2 N588 The History of Intercollegiate Tennis at Brigham Young University A history of the intercollegiate tennis program at Brigham Young University. Includes information on the development of the program and important participants in the program (both coaches and players).
- 378.2 B791 A History of Brigham Young University Track and Field in State, Division, and Conference Contests A history of the Brigham Young University track and field teams. Contains information on prominent coaches, team members, and events.
- 378.2 D924 A History of the Men’s Intercollegiate Gymnastics Program at Brigham Young University A history of men’s gymnastics at Brigham Young University. Includes brief biographies of coaches and information on the development of the program.
- UA 1347 Brigham Young University Dept. of Athletics memorabilia, 1950-1970 Collection of film reels, framed photographs, and clippings from Brigham Young University’s Intercollegiate Athletics from 1950-1970.
- GV 691 .B75 J36x 1984 Cougar Tales Paul James, a Utah sports broadcaster, writes about his experiences broadcasting Brigham Young University sports over a twenty year period.
- GV 691 .B75 R62x 1984 Greatest Moments in BYU Sports Describes some of the greatest moments in Brigham Young University’s football, basketball and golf teams before 1984.
- GV 691 .B75 C34 2005 Cougarmania: a book of notes, quotes, anecdotes, commentaries, frivolity, lore, and more about BYU sports This book examines Brigham Young University athletic program from the fans’ perspective with particular emphasis on football and basketball. It contains a long chapter that is comprised of quotes about the athletic program by individuals associated with it as well as a detailed description of the results of the BYU-Utah football games from 1988 to 2004.
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the evolution of Brigham Young University athletics. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.