Brigham Young University Alumni Magazine
Brigham Young University is a private university that seeks to develop students of faith, intellect and character who have the skills and the desire to continuing learning and to serve others throughout their lives. Tracing its roots to Utah’s rich pioneer heritage and to Brigham Young Academy, the original school established in 1875, the university continues to provide an outstanding education in an atmosphere consistent with the ideals and principles of its sponsor, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In 1945, the Brigham Young Alumnus was established as the alumni publication of the university. The circulation of this publication reached 13,000 within one year of its creation. In 1968 it was replaced by the BYU Today, a tabloid newspaper. This newspaper developed into the Brigham Young Magazine of 1993, which was joined by BYU Alumni in 1997. The two synthesized in 2000, becoming the BYU Magazine, which the Alumni Association successfully publishes at this time on a quarterly basis. The remarkable history of Brigham Young University can be uncovered through many of the collections held in the University Archives. The following source materials can get you started on your exploration of the Brigham Young University Alumni Magazine.
Secondary Sources and General information
Collections held by the University Archives will be more useful to your specific research topic after you understand more about the general history of the university. The following resources are available to help you develop that understanding.
- Histories of Brigham Young University
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. Brigham Young University: The First One Hundred Years (4 volumes). Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975
- Wilkinson, Ernest L. and W. Cleon Skousen. Brigham Young University: A School of Destiny. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1976
- Butterworth, Edwin Jr. Brigham Young University: 1,000 Views of 100 Years. Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 1975.
- Sample materials dealing with the Brigham Young University Alumni Magazine: A sample of the materials that contain information about the BYU Alumni Magazine. To map out a research strategy, please schedule an appointment with the University Archivist at 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org for additional help in discovering what other collections we may have that pertain to your research topic.
- MSS 2065 Scrapbooks, 1947-1977 Seven volumes containing articles and advertisements about BYU that appeared in “The Improvement Era” and numerous other publications. One volume contains issues of “BYU Today,” 1968-1973. Collection also includes a folder of newspapers.
- LH 1 .B73 B7x Brigham Young University today Vol. 25, no. 4 (Apr. 1971) to Vol. 35, no. 4 (June 1981).
- 378.05 B76to BYU today Vol. 35, no. 5 (Aug. 1981) to Vol. 46, no. 6 (Nov. 1992).
- 378.05 B76to Brigham Young magazine Vol. 47, no. 1 (Feb. 1993) to Vol. 54, no. 4 (Winter 2000/2001).
- 378.05 B76to BYU magazine Vol. 55, no. 1 (Spring 2001) to Vol.65, no.1 (Winter 2011)
This Popular Search Topics page offers only samplings of materials included in the University Archives that document the Brigham Young University Alumni Magazine. Be sure to visit Special Collections to discover other material.