Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center
August 22, 2012
The Franklin S. Harris Fine Arts Center is one of the most heavily used buildings on the campus of Brigham Young University. It was the last major academic structure completed during the 1957-1964 building boom. It was originally proposed in the fall of 1954 as part of the 1955 budget request but other projects were given priority over it. It would eventually be proposed four times before it was approved. The major obstacle to overcome was its large price tag of $5,000,000. Construction on the building began in 1962 and the building was completed in 1964. It was named after former Brigham Young University president Franklin S. Harris because of his love of and support for the arts. Since opening the Harris Fine Arts Center has played host to thousands of performances and thousands of students have honed their artistic talents there.