J. Reuben Clark Law School
March 3, 2010
In March 1971 President Harold B. Lee, counselor in the First Presidency, announced that a law school was going to be established at Brigham Young University and in November 1971 Rex E. Lee was appointed as the first dean of the J. Reuben Clark Law School. Classes at the new law school began during fall semester 1973 and were held in the St. Francis of Assisi School. The school had been leased to the university for offices, library, and classroom space pending the completion of the new J. Reuben Clark Law School Building on campus east of the Wilkinson Student Center.
The University Archives is home to several collections that document the history of the J. Reuben Clark Law School. They include:
- UA 1000 Ernest L. Wilkinson Personal Papers, 1917-1978. Wilkinson was heavily involved in the planning of the new law school.
- MSS 2017 Rex E. Lee Personal Papers, 1910-1996. Lee was the founding dean of the law school and his papers contain information on his tenure as dean of the law school.
- UA 735 Bruce C. Hafen Assistant to the President records, 1971-1977. Hafen was also involved in the planning of the law school.
- KF 292 .J34 H38 1999 Hawkins, Carl S. The founding of the J. Reuben Clark Law School (Provo, UT: The School, 1999)
- KF 292 .C53 .S44 1983 J. Reuben Clark Law School Self study for review of accreditation (Provo, UT: Law School, 1983)
To learn more about the sources available for studying the history of the J. Reuben Clark Law School contact the university archivist at (801) 422-5821 or firstname.lastname@example.org